Hello There, Guest!  
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Old Swedish Kitchen Sofa

A few years back Mrs Mojo was wanting a Swedish kitchen sofa. We looked for several months before finding what she wanted. Finally I found this one and was able to get it for only 30 Euros.
[Image: ks1.jpg]

This sofa is made so that you can pull out the bottom, throw some hay in a big pillow case type bag and have a bed. People actually use to sleep in these.
[Image: ks2.jpg]

I spent several weeks sanding a few hours each day until I had it just like I wanted. Once the sanding was finished I decided to do some wood burning designs on it. I didn't want to ruin all my work with the wood burning so I done several practice burns on scrap wood to see what looked best. Once I figured out what I could do with the wood burner, I drew what I wanted on paper and then tried to burn that design into scrap wood.
[Image: ks3.jpg]

Once I got all the burning done I took a fingernail polish brush and painted the burned area with polyurethane to seal the burned area because I planned on staining the sofa white and I didn't want the burned area to be white. I repeated the process until I had 3 coats of polyurethane on the burned area. It usually takes 24 hours for the polyurethane to dry but because the wood was burned it took 4 days for the first coat to dry and 2 days for the second coat and the third coat was dry in 24 hours.
[Image: ks4.jpg]
[Image: badmojo.jpg]

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin
Once the polyurethane was dry I stained the entire sofa white with 2 coats of stain. I waited 48 hours to make sure the white stain was dry and then I used cotton ear swabs to clean away the white stain from the burned areas. Once that was finished I proceeded to apply 10 coats of polyurethane over the entire sofa. It took me 2 weeks to apply the polyurethane but once it was finished it felt like touching glass...very smooth to the touch.
[Image: ks7.jpg]
[Image: ks5.jpg]
[Image: ks6.jpg]

Mrs Mojo was very pleased with the final result. Ended up spending more on polyurethane than I did on the sofa.

Benjamin Franklin
it looks great i like the look off it was it hard to make mojo
I m not a STRANGER,
AM just a Friend u haven't met!!
[Image: 2dl506a.jpg]

[Image: richmond-ub.jpg]

[Image: 23013.gif] [Image: 22986.gif]
what a fantastic job you have done,a great piece of furniture
@ richmond...it was alot of work but it wasn't hard to do. The most challenging was the wood burning design because I'm not an artist.

Thanks kazr, I really enjoyed doing it.

My next project is going to be much smaller. I was given a small block of a old cherry tree (cut down 5 years ago) and I'm gonna try and make 1 or maybe 2 small tobacco pipes. That will be my winter project.

Benjamin Franklin
very very nice job ..love the idea of the poly whatever it realy is a cool product to make things glossy and smooth ..looking forward to the pipes
[Image: lut.jpg][Image: lutsig.jpg]
The ancient one.......